Volunteers provide library service to those members of the Georgina community who are generally unable to visit the library for an extended period of time, due to disability, illness, or surgery.
Georgina Public Library will make reasonable efforts to ensure that it provides accessible service to all and respects the core principles of independence, dignity, integration, and equal opportunity.
Description of Service:
- A volunteer service run by the Friends of the Library with assistance from the staff at our three locations.
- A means by which library resources are made available to Georgina residents who are unable to access our locations for one month or more.
- A bimonthly (every 2-3 weeks) delivery service, with library materials being selected, checked out, delivered, picked up, and returned back to the library.
- Visiting Library Service (VLS) members are encouraged to make in-person visits with friends or family, when they are able, although normal restrictions will apply to the use of the VLS card. VLS volunteers are not authorized to transport VLS patrons.
Special Library Considerations for VLS Patrons:
- Magazines may not be borrowed by VLS patrons in nursing homes as it is very difficult to keep track of these items.
- Items which have to be returned to the library in less than a week (e.g. DVDs) may not be borrowed by VLS patrons.
- Overdue charges for regular books, audio books, or music cds will not apply to VLS patrons.
- Books may be returned or renewed; regular rules apply. For example, if the book is on hold for another patron, the book cannot be renewed.
- Books borrowed on a patron's behalf through interlibrary loan from libraries other than Georgina Public Library may have restrictions - speak to library staff for details.
- Volunteers and VLS patrons will not be held responsible for lost materials. Lost materials must be reported to the circulation staff.
For more information, please speak to our staff in one of our three locations.